Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Mimosa

Mimosa, a.k.a. Persian Silk Tree, Silk Tree, Pink Powder Puff, Albizia julibrissin, Mimosa tenuiflora, Mimosa hostilis, is an invasive tree that grows throughout most of the South, up into the Northern states, and as far west as Oklahoma and Texas.

In hoodoo/rootwork/conjure, Mimosa is used for cleansing and uncrossing. For this use the leaves and/or flowers are brewed into a tea. A white handkerchief or white cloth is then dipped into the water and the cloth is passed down the person's body. I've often wondered if Mimosa's use for cleansing and uncrossing comes from the fact that the tree will close it's leaves at night.

Mimosa wood tea can be used externally to treat skin problems, to stop bleeding, and as a gargle for toothaches. Mimosa leaf tea can be applied externally to treat fevers.

I love Mimosa trees. The first tree I ever climbed as a kid was a very large Mimosa tree. When Mimosa trees are in full bloom they are quite spectacular. Mimosa tree is definitely one of my favorite trees.







4 comments:

L.M.Tea said...

I've been wondering what kind of tree this was, had never seen one until I moved to the border of Kentucky/Tennesse or probably hadn't paid much attention to it since this is the farthest south I've been; I grew up north of here and there where no trees like this really.

DocConjure said...

@ L.M. Tea,

It grows everwhere where I'm at. I even have seedlings in my yard and flowerbeds even though there isnt a Mimosa tree in site. A lot of people hate them and consider them to be an invasive species.

L.M.Tea said...

I think they are very pretty, but then I haven't dealt with them much really!!

DocConjure said...

@ L.M. Tea,

Well, I'm big on working with your native flora. So if you have them in your area then go try working with it and see how you like it.

Search This Blog

Loading...